Monday, January 08, 2007

Galapagos Sea Lions


Agile, fast, sensitive, protective, intelligent, and individual (yet part of a community) sums up the sea lions of the Galapagos. Freediving with them is truly an unforgettable experience. Spending many hours in the water with these fun-loving sea canines, one begins to connect and understand. At points it even feels as though you have been adopted by their families.

The males are serious, patrolling their territory. The females are playful underwater acrobats. Together they complement each other creating a harmony and balance that runs deep. And while rough play is part of the game - they are gentle and loving with one another - even with the occasional freediver.

They have protected me (chasing sharks away), played with me, performed for me, softly bitten me, and allowed me to interact with their offspring - the ultimate trust. I truly fell in love with them and miss those large eyes - gateway to their kind souls...

No comments: