Friday, October 17, 2008

Frank Mundus


About 2-3 weeks ago I was reading The Economist when I came across the Obituary section. Featured was Frank Mundus – probably the most famous shark fisherman – some may recall Captain Quint from Jaws – while Benchley denied that the character was based on Mundus, he did go out with him on various occasions for “research” purposes - there are obvious similarities.

Regardless I am trying to figure out why The Economist would dedicate a page to Mundus…I do not think I can say anything negative about him and what he did – after all he was part of a generation that did not know what impact their actions would have and how they would be seen today. In fact, most “ocean men” of the 1940s-1950s started diving to hunt – Jacques Cousteau believe it or not was an avid spear fisher – even my old man started that way.

I think what is important to realize that some of these men changed and have become ambassadors of the ocean…I am not sure what Mr. Mundus did in his last years – I remember seeing him in the Discovery Channel interacting with live White Sharks – but cannot confirm that he became an activist per se.

It would have been great to see him lead an initiative to end the Montauk Shark Fishing Tournament

What are your thoughts?

No comments: