Monday, April 12, 2010

World Class Freediver and Tiger Sharks

Hanli and Wolf - Photo by: Allen Walker

Hanli Prinsloo is one of South Africa's top freedivers - and there are a lot of good divers there.  She is very connected with the Earth and especially the Ocean, and although I have never met her she strikes me as an extremely gentle human being .  


I follow her adventures on her blog ... and well, today she wrote about her dive with the Tigers and a Wolf.  I think she perfectly captured the old man and his passion:

"...And then there is Wolf. Wolfgang Leander is a man I have known for two years, I say known, but I only met him once two years ago in Struisbaai, where we were united in a dream to freedive with Great White Sharks. Neither of us did, on that trip. But we were equally excited to have met each other, and since then a heartfelt, if geographically challenged, friendship has developed.


Wolf lives in Bolivia, and spends his time and money on Tiger sharks... wherever you can dive with them, Wolf has been, will go to, or has been to, and is returning to. 



And when you see him diving with them, you understand why. This man GETS Tigers... like really GETS them. His love for them is palpable... in his eyes, in his words, and when you see him underwater interacting with them, you know. This is true love.


With his so-damn-old-it's-retro-cool 35mm stills camera slung around his neck, he hangs around at about ten meters, waiting for his striped ladies to come in, strokes their bellies, snaps pics of their gentle eyes and comes up out of breath and fulfilled. I love diving with him, he inspires me to keep loving the sea and her children as I do...

Thank you, Wolf"



Read Hanli's complete post here.

No comments: